Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Heart Ice Fishing!! (Spoken like a true Canuck)

So it's Sunday night and instead of lesson planning and prepping for the week (what my teaching partner calls the Sunday night jitters or the excitement and nervousness that we thought would go away over time but even years into our teaching careers still exists before the school week begins) I am helping Mr. Hubby prep for his ice fishing trip. He comes from a small town, about 45 minutes outside of Ottawa and his family lives on the St. Lawrence river. One of the things I love the most about my new family is how outdoorsy they are. They've introduced me to many interested outdoor sports (such as hunting, fishing, snow mobiling, ATVing and ice fishing) and being an outdoorsy girl myself, I fell in love with them and their hobbies.
*A pic of our little family inside the ice hut warming up. This was a cold day and puppy needed to warm up too. She had been running around on the ice for hours and trying to eat the fish we'd caught.*

For those of you who are not familiar with ice fishing, it is really very interesting. When the ice is thick enough, we go out on the ice with an ice hut, propane heaters, folding chairs, an ice auger (like a big drill for making the holes in the ice), fishing gear, bait, tip-ups (little contraptions that attach to the fishing lines and tell you if a fish has grabbed the bait) and maybe a few thermoses with a little liquid heat. For Christmas this year, we gave my father-in-law a nice new ice hut so he, D and his best friend Cory will go try it out tomorrow.

*My man and his BF (one of our favourite peeps) ready to head out for a day on the ice.*



Sadly I won't be joining the boys tomorrow (damn job) I thought I'd send them along with a little cooler of snacks and lunch so that they are well nourished while out on the ice for the day. I am not a wonderful cook and quite far from the domestic goddess/mini Martha Stewart that I'd like to be but I tried.


*Some Chicken Parm snack wraps, hot chocolate packs, beers, tortilla chips, cookies, granola bars and clementines. (The clementines are really just there for show y'all. There is little to no chance that my boys will actually eat the healthy bits of their snack)*


So tomorrow morning my boys will head out at 5am with their cooler and gear and these poor little guys and hope for big, hungry fishies to come along. Cross your fingers for them ;)

*Live minnows. Ew.* 



5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. OH MON DIEU!!! for real?!!? You just made my day, Brittany!! That is so sweet of you!! I will blog about it tonight. Can I nominate you back? Your blog is fab and so are you. xo

      Delete
  2. Hi I found your blog via confessions of a single mommy. I just read a few post, and I have to say I must follow along to read more. Check out my blog, you may want to follow back.
    -chelsea
    chelseajuarbe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following Chelsea! I checked out your blog and will definitely follow back! Love your blog and your little guy is stinkin adorable!

      Delete
  3. Great post! So did they catch anything?!

    ReplyDelete